Thursday, August 2, 2007

Chunky Carrot Spread


Mmm... Chunky, full of flavour, and carrot-y. And healthy! Does it get any better? I've been having this every day for the past week.

Chunky Carrot Spread

enough to pile high onto a Wasa cracker

1 medium carrot, or ~4 baby carrots, chopped into chunks
2 tsp chopped ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp almond butter (optional)
2 tbsp cooked lentils (optional as well- makes a creamier spread. add more cinnamon or even some curry powder as well)

Steam the chopped carrot and ginger together in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until reasonably tender. I do this right in the smaller Magic Bullet attachment.

Let cool a bit, then place carrot, ginger, and the remaining ingredients into a food processor (or, if you've got a Magic Bullet, go ahead and add these to the carrots and ginger.

Now, blend! You might have to stop at one point to push the spread around in the food processor to get it all mixed together.

It's not the easy spread to... spread, but it's sure delicious! Especially if you go heavy on the spices.

If chunky isn't your thing, steam the carrots for a bit longer so that they're verrrry tender. You could even add a bit of liquid when you're pureeing.


I highly recommend adding the lentils!


ETA: I plugged this recipe into a recipe calculator and supposedly it's only just less than 100 calories for the entire thing, using the almond butter but not the lentils. And it has 147% of your daily requirements of vitamin A, 10% of your calcium, and 13% of your iron! Woohoo! Pretty awesome, non?

3 comments:

bazu said...

Ooooh, this sounds right up my alley. Very similar to a carrot jam that my grandmother makes, that I also love. Must try!

Cherry said...

That sounds really healthy and delicious. About the wheat roast- I'm not sure where they get it from, so I don't know if you would be able to find to exact same thing where you live, but I'm sure they would have something similar. And definately try seitan- either buy some(check the ingredients-some have honey!) or make it.

Peggy said...

Thanks! I've never tried any sort of a carrot jam, but I've just looked up some recipes and that sounds delish as well.

Cherry- I'm looking over the Seitan O'greatness recipe as we speak!

(or type. whatever.)