Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Vegan Mofo: The epitome of autumn flavours?



This is probably my #1 new favorite recipe, like seriously. It's absolutely delicious, and I've officially decided that toasted + oven cooked quinoa is THE BEST. :)

Sorry that the picture isn't fabulous, I'm not so great at making casseroles look good.

Carrot-Squash Quinoa

1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 onion diced finely
1 clove garlic
1 cup diced squash
1 cup diced carrot
1 tbsp orange zest
1/2 cup apple juice
1 1/2 cup veg broth
1 tsp sage/ rosemary cilantro parsley
Cinnamon and cumin to taste (optional- but it is fabulous!)

In a skillet, lightly toast the quinoa. This isimportant as it gives it an nutty flavour :)
Combine EVERYTHING in a baking dish
Bake in the covered dish for 50 min at 375F- then uncover and bake for 10 more minutes. Enjoy!

7 comments:

mad about udon said...

Your description really sold me, actually. I loooovee winter veggies. And I have a big bag of red quinoa, so I think this will be on the menu soon!

Bianca said...

I've never tried toasting my quinoa or cooking it in the oven. I'll do that next time.

Veg-a-Nut said...

Quinoa is a favorite here. This really looks good.

Bethany said...

looks very yummy. that's a cool way to make quinoa. really cuts down on the time to make dinner.

Peggy the Veggie said...

Mad about Udon- Oh yum, this would deifnitely look amazing with red quinoa!

Bianca- It's quite delicious, give it a try for sure

veg-a-nut- thanks!

Bethany- It IS very yummy, hehe. yeah, when everything is just thrown together, it's super quick and easy.

Fruity said...

Interesting.. don't think I have tried this before
Fruity

tofufreak said...

oven cooked quinoa is such a good idea! i'll have to try your recipe sometime. it sounds great!