Wednesday, April 11, 2007

(No chicken for THIS Iron Chef)

ARGHARGHRGAHRAGRHGAR

Here's my latest rant, posted at the Vegan Freak forum.
(http://www.veganfreaks.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14230)

OK, so I've decided to sign up for my school's Iron Chef competition. I love cooking so I thought that it would be fun, plus give me an opportunity to challenge myself a bit more.

In any case, we get to know our "secret ingredients" ahead of time. And guess what I was told today?

RICE

BROCCOLI

and... CHICKEN

Yes, chicken. Needless to say, I was pretty annoyed- not only are these ingredients kinda boring (I was expecting something fun and exciting like lentils, eggplant, or quinoa even) but CHICKEN.

SO NOT VEGAN.

So, I tried to explain to the coordinating teacher:

"Chicken? Um, that wouldn't work so well with me. I'm vegan, you see.."

"Oh, sorry but we can't change it. And, well, YOU don't have to EAT it"

"No, that doesn't matter. I don't feel comfortable cooking it"
(I wanted to say 'flesh' but held myself back)

"Oh, well you could just have somebody else do it"

Argh. I still didn't say if I would be participating for sure. But seriously- chicken? Don't they realize that SOMEBODY out there, other than me, could be vegetarian, if not vegan?

ARGHGHARGAHRGAHRGAHRGAHRGARHAGRAHGR

There's NO WAY I could feel confortable cooking flesh.

Plus, my guitar broke today so I was already kinda bummed out. But it's all fixed now, so that dilemma is solved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.