Saturday, May 5, 2007

Rainbow Soup

The other day, I bought some dulse and decided to throw it in a soup, but I had no clue what to do. I threw it in a pot with some navy beans, tons of chopped veggies of every colour, and loads of paprika. And VOILA! Rainbow Soup!





This recipe is SO easily modified according to what vegetables or spices you like and have in your fridge. And, if you'd like more beans, go ahead and add more.

Rainbow Soup

2 tbsp water + another cup for later
1/4 to 1/2 chopped onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp of paprika, or another yummy spice with a nice colour. I like to add some tumeric and cinnamon, too.
1 chunk of dulse seaweed, about the size of a playing card. Use less if you're not so fond of dulse
1/2 cup of cooked navy beans, or any other bean. White ones look best in this soup :)
1 1/2 cups or so of chopped up veggies: (I like a bit more)

Some suggestions for vegetables:
--red: halved cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper
--orange: orange bell pepper, carrots
--yellow: yellow bell pepper
--green: broccoli, spinach, green beans, kale, celery
--kinda whitish: leek, cabbage, onion but we've already got that down

Over medium-high heat, sauté the onion and garlic in the water until the onion is soft. Add your spices, as well as a tablespoon of water if your pot is getting kinda dry.

Now, after your spices, garlic, and onion are fragrant, add in your beans and 1 cup of water. At this point, you can add your vegetables and dulse, or wait until later if you don't want them too mushy. In any case, bring the soup to a boil then turn down to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.


...BUT WAIT, this meal isn't quite a rainbow yet, is it? Where's the blue?

When I'm jonesn' for a cozy, warm drink, I like to take a mug of soymilk, pop in a handful of frozen blueberries, then microwave that for 90 seconds or so. It's SO GOOD because the bluberries melt and seep their delicious blueberry juicy goodness into the soymilk. I love it. And, when I have it with my soup, I've got a hearty, cozy, rainbow meal. :D


No comments: