Sunday, May 6, 2007

Running & asparagus

OH WOW DO I EVER LOVE RUNNING.


Looking back, I think I always have. I remember my grade 5 teacher, Mme. Chiswell, and how she had us run a mile every day for 26 days, so that we could eventually complete a marathon. My friend Kieren and I were always neck-and-neck, and always trying to beat him helped push me to run faster, faster, faster. Then that summer, I continued to run, and all that training help me to get 2nd place in the city for a cross country race.


Over the past few years, I've enjoyed running, but the competitiveness of racing really bothered me. I still do well in track & field and cross country events, but not nearly as well as I could be if I trained.


BUT I think that's all going to change..
Ever since I've really tried to rely on eating only whole foods and intact grains, the amount of energy I've had is incredible. And, for the past few days, I've been going for quick mile-long runs- and I LOVE it!
Today's run was exceptionally awesome. I practically sprinted the whole way and felt SO great, SO healthy, SO happy. I'm sure that it was that "runner's high", because I was floating in ecstatic runningness. Even better was the fact that I came home to asparagus!
At the same time I finished my run, my dad returned from an asparagus picking outing- with a bag full of fresh stalks. mmm. there must have been 5 pounds of it.
In any case, we steamed a bunch, drizzled some olive oil, and it was so delicious. I'm not going to be able to eat store-bought asparagus ever again.

No comments: