Sunday, June 10, 2007

Eggplant Pizzas



Mmm... I had this as part of my dinner Friday night, and it was SO yummy and SO easy!

I cut 3 slices off of an eggplant, spread on a tomato/kidney bean "hummus", and topped the 'pizzas' off with either broccoli, sliced mini bell pepper, or some garlic and dried herbs. Then into the oven at 400 until the eggplant looked about done...

Next time, I think that I'll prebake the eggplant a bit first, because it wasn't quite done. But the REAL superstar of this was the SAUCE!

I had made a hummus earlier with some leftover canned kidney beans, a whole tomato, some bell pepper, a pinch of powdered dried chipotle pepper, chili powder, lime juice, and some little bits of broccoli. But just those little tiny things on the ends of the florets.. you know what I mean.

Anyways, somehow this mishmash of randomness turned out SOOOOO delicious. It tasted JUST like a delicious tomato sauce and the broccoli thingies reminded me of grated parmesan cow pus so much that I did a double take. It was rather scary, but still tasted great.

:( I wish that I wrote down what had gone into it, and how much, but I didn't. Here are some *rough* estimations:

Tomato-Broccoli Pizza (or Pasta) Sauce

1/3 cup kidney beans
1 medium tomato, cut into eigths
1/4 cup of chopped bell pepper (any colour), or use a mini baby bell pepper like I did
1/4 teaspoon of chipolte powder
1 to 2 teaspoons of chili powder
Juice of 1/2 of a lime ---> save the other half if the sauce is too thick; you can just squeeze in more juice
Between 2 tablespoons and 1/4 cup of broccoli thingies... Like, just shave off the little sprouty bits off of some broccoli.

Blend it all up in a food processor until smooth. Thin with lime juice frmo the other half or some water or olive oil or even a vinegar of your choice, if desired.

No comments: