Sunday, June 10, 2007

Recipe Review: Easy and Decadent No-Knead Wheat Bread!

I need to gain some weight, so I decided to make some bread. You see, I really prefer eating INTACT, minimally procesed whole grains, but maybe something like bread could make weight gain easier. At least, that's my theory.

In any case, I decided to make the Easy and Decadent No-Knead Wheat Bread from VegWeb yesterday. It looked like a fairly simple and straightforward recipe, which is a bonus. Flour, sugar, salt, yeast, water. I didn't use the cinnamon, just to have a more versatile bread that could be spread with a savory hummus or some mashed raspberries.

This was my first time ever making bread on my own (I used to help my mom when I was like 4), and the instructions were clear enough for me to feel like I knew what I was doing.

I let the bread rise for the full hour, but I should have probably waited a bit longer. Also, next time I'd probably reduce the temperature and increase the baking time, since the inside of the loaf wasn't quite cooked through. D:

Also, it was kinda too sweet to my liking, even though I only used 1/4 cup of sugar instead of 1/3 cup. I guess you can't get rid of the sugar, though, since the yeast needs to feed off of it, if I'm not mistaken.

The over-sweetness aside, this bread was DELICIOUS. Between me and my siblings and my parents, 2/3 of the loaf were devoured within a few minutes. I made the mistake of leaving the loaf on the counter overnight, but it was still okay this morning.

Next time, I'll probably add some sundried tomatoes and basil. Mmm. Or cinnamon and cardamon and ground flax and maybe some chopped apple. The possiblilities are endless...

Straight out of the oven:

Me smelling some of the warm, bready goodness:

No comments: