Sunday, July 8, 2007

Kinda the best day ever, so far....

Mmmmm, saskatoon berries! These are kinda the best berries ever... they look similar to a blueberry but have a very distinct taste. I can't really describe it- kinda 'wild' and a bit like a blackberry, but they aren't as overly sweet as other berries... As far as I know, saskatoon berries are only found in Western Canada. :)

Anyways, if you've seen the blog post title you're probably thinking "WHAT IS IT THAT HAS MADE THIS DAY SO SPECTACLULAR?" Well, here's what I've done today:

First, for breakfast, I had a big bowl of oatmeal, as always. :) With blackstrap molasses and cinnamon and apples and flaxseed. Mmmm.

After digesting a bit, I went for a really nice run-bike with my mom... I ran and she biked. It was maybe 20-25 minutes, which was great. We went down into the river valley and I ran around the trails by Laurier Park. Edmonton is so beautiful in the summer! And we saw some lovely saskatoon berries during the run and we just HAD to stop and stuff our faces.

Later, I started to make the yummiest lunch ever:

A summer salad,

(1 tomato + 1 bell pepper + 1/4 of a cucumber + 1 handful of spinach, chopped + a bit of leftover onion, chopped + basil and oregano + balsamic vinegar + apple cider vinegar + flax oil)

And a modified version of my garlicky baby bok choy!, plus ginger, some tamari-marinated tofu, and some green chili pepper.

When my mom got home later, after a stop at Safeway, I plated some of the salad and bok choy for each of us. :)

She loved it! You know, I think she would indeed like to be vegan. Well, she loves my food, at least. Plus, she's always saying how 'great she feels when she eats like me'.

Then, this afternoon, I made a green smoothie... I should have taken a picture, because it was sooo beautiful and sooooo green- and soooooo goood! My youngest sister has a friend over and both she and the friend loved it. Even when I told them that it had spinach!

Peggy's green smoothie

serves one

2 handfuls of spinach
1 kiwi, peeled and quartered
2-4 cubes of frozen watermelon
About 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water.... whatever you need for the right consistency

Whirl it all in the blender, and enjoy!


And when life couldn't get much better... it looks like we'll have a storm tonight. Woohoo!

No comments: