Monday, July 23, 2007

Lentil sprouts

...That was last night at 6pm.

And this morning:

Yay! They're growing much faster than I'd have expected from lentils. I could probably eat them now, but I think I'll wait just a bit longer. After all, lentils are tied with fava beans as my favorite legume, so these sprouts HAVE to be perfect. :)

we had broccolini last night! Broccolini is a natural (not GMO!) cross between broccoli and Chinese Kale.

How does it taste? Well, we had it raw at first, and it was like broccoli on steroids... stronger and with a more powerful flavour.
Then, I steamed a few stalks later, only for about 2 minutes so until just a bit tender. Now, THAT was delicious! I scarfed it down like it's going out of style. I need to buy some more broccolini...

The other day, I sliced up a bit of cucumber and carrot in our mandolin and put it all in our weird 'squiggly' vegetable tray. My mom thought that it looked like salmon swimming down a river, and told me to take some pictures for my website RIGHT NOW.

8 comments:

Kelsey said...

I am always excited when i find teen vegan blogs, its great to see there are actually other people like me(vegan teens)! I love lentil sprouts, there my favorite kind that ive tried so far!

-Kelsey

Anonymous said...

A vegan in Alberta. It seems like we are so few and far between in this cow province!!

Peggy said...

Me too, Kelsey! I like to see what vegans like me are doing, whether it's activism or yummy cooking.

Go Albertan vegans! :D

KleoPatra said...

Wow, nice going on the lentil sprouting. FAST! Woah, go lentil sprouts!!

Haven't had broccolini but y'know i did not know that this veggie is a cross between broccoli and kale. The things i learn! Thanks for the lesson...

That does look like a fish swimming in the mandolin. i'm now wondering what a mandolin is doing as a holder for food on the table.

Love yer blog, keep it up!!

Peggy said...

Oops, I might have been a bit unclear there! I used the mandolin to slice the veggies, then put them on a squiggly platter. :)

Hilary said...

Yum!. I've had broccolini in egg-free noodle dishes from restaurants. You've reminded me to give it at try at home now :)

And those sprouts look good! I should try that.

Cherry said...

I've never tried broccolini; it's so expenxive.

Anonymous said...

very creative!!