Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Organic Roots Food Market- restaurant review

I didn't have school yesterday! We don't have short Thursdays, so 1 or 2 Mondays per month are PD days. :D It's awesome.

So, yesterday, my mom and I went out for lunch at Roots, by the U of A. I'd never ever been there before, but it came recommended by a friend of a friend of mine, so we decided that we might as well!

Roots is both a health food store and a nice little cafe built into one. We did buy some neat things there, but I'll talk about that later...

I ordered the Veggie Supreme panini and my mom ordered the Mediterranian panini (with goat cheese- boo!). We also got salads on the side, here's mine:
Their salad bar was filled with SUCH variety! There were: mixed greens, baked tofu, bell pepper, sprouts, tomatoes, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, red onion, and a WHOLE LOT MORE. They also had 4 salad dressings (Nutritional yeast dressing, ginger wasabi vinaigrette, a lemony one, and a tahini one), all of which were labeled as vegan. I chose the ginger wasabi one, and it was very good.

At each table, in addition to salt and pepper, there were two other shakers: kelp granules and candied cardamom. I thought that was cool!

Here's my panini:
It had a roasted garlic spread, a red pepper spread, spinach, sprouts, and a whole lot more. I liked it a lot, but especially because of the size. It was nice and tiny, maybe about 12cm x 12cm, which is so perfect. It filled me up without making me feel gross and uncomfortably full, not like some sandwiches you might get elsewhere.

I'm definitely going back again, mostly for the amazing salad bar. :)


And, what we did buy there? Among other things, a sugarpie pumpkin:

My mom made a yummy, lemony quinoa pilaf with it- not quite spiced to my liking (it needed more ginger), but still very good.

I DID make seitan yesterday, too! I'll write about that after school. :) See you all in blogland then!

4 comments:

The Little Mama said...

I think that's the panini I usually get at OR. Isn't it the cutest place? And locally-family owned too!

bazu said...

I am a HUGE fan of salad bars- that photo of your salad is blowing me away! Thanks for the restaurant review! Who knows when I might find myself in your neck of the woods...?

Anonymous said...

That sandwich looks really delicious. I love salad bars and I wish we had more of them around. You won't think so from looking at me (chub chub :D), but I'm a huge salad fan.

Peggy said...

Thanks for the comments! :D

I didn't know that it was family owned- that's awesome! Another reason to go back. :)

Good quality salad bars are definitely awesome! Heh, let me know if you ever come way out here...

Yeah, I think GOOD salad bars should be at every single restaurant out there- how many times have we veg*ns wanted a certain salad on a menu, to find it covered in bacon bits and chicken?
Schools too, for that matter. I'd love being able to make fresh salads at school!