Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Seitan O'Greatness, Tikka Masala version

Before I talk seitan, I'd just like to quickly let VegMomma (and any others in Edmonton) know that I get my pita bread at IGA, the Italian Center, or Planet Organic. It comes from the Sunbake Pita Bakery, located itself at 10728 134 Avenue NW. There are other stores you can get it at too, so just look around a bit. :)

-----

Anyways....
I made seitan according to the Vivacious Vegan's version of the well-known Seitan O'Greatness.

Here's a nice shot of the dry ingredients:

Mixing in the wet ingredients & kneading was my favorite part- I should make some bread sometime, because I really love getting right in there!

After kneading:
Erm, doesn't look so appetizing, at least not yet...

I don't like the idea of putting food in aluminum anything (something about Alzheimer's, I think), so I used a layer of parchment paper under the foil.

I loved being able to set the timer for 90 minutes, then just doing WHATEVER I want during that time. It's not like cookies, or roasted veggies, when you need to take them out fairly soon or at just the right time so that they don't burn.

And, here's the finished product:
A cross-section:

I left some bigger chunks of garlic when I minced it, which ended up really neat. The pieces got very soft and moist and wonderfully garlicky.
I've cut the whole log into nice, tiny strips that I can now add to a stir-fry or whatever else.

Alongside some yummy sushi, I packed some little pieces of seitan in my lunch for today. It's such a yummy, compact source of protein!

That was definitely a great recipe, and I'll probably follow it again pretty soon, but make some variations. A lot less nutritional yeast, for one- the cheesy aftertaste isn't really my thing. I really liked the complex flavours though- some spices hit your tongue right away, others you can taste just as you're swallowing. Awesome!

I had a lot of homework last night to work on, but I couldn't help but take a picture of the lovely sunset outside my window:


And, I've got some exciting news to share! I had a blood test last Wednesday, and the results are in- my protein, iron, B12, etc. are all GREAT! Yay! I'm a healthy, happy vegan! :D

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

the food looks great!

im happy that you are very healthy!!!

aTxVegn said...

Your seitan turned out perfectly! I might make some again this weekend - it's pretty easy to do.

I'm glad to hear you're a healthy vegan.

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Congrats on your blood tests! and major yum on your seitan. I like how you used some parchment paper between.

Amey said...

congrats on a confirmed healthy-vegan status! That's cool.

I still haven't made this legendary seitan... but one day I will. Thanks for the nutritional yeast tip though, I'm not really a bit n.y. person, so I'll follow your idea and use a bit less when I do try it.

:)

Steph said...

It's so nice to see another teen around here doing the blogging thing! Stick with it! Check out my blog if you get the chance.

The Little Mama said...

Yay for the blood tests!
The seitan looks good. I'm generally to lazy/ busy to make seitan, but since pretty much everyone in the vegan blogging community has made this recipe, I suppose I must make it too. :) Good work!

Peggy said...

:) Thanks for the comments!

Being peer pressured into making seitan is a good thing. ;)

urban vegan said...

Love yoru Inidan version. And congrats on yoru blood tests, but I'm not surprised. You eat very well--tons better than was I was your age.

Kumudha said...

Seitan looks so good. I freqently use tofu, but I'm yet to try seitan. After seeing the pictures of your seitan dishes, I want to try seitan in a couple of days!

bazu said...

Congratulations about your blood test! (Ha ha- I just accidentally wrote "blog" instead of "blood"!)
I can't believe how perfectly your seitan turned out- must try that tikka masala recipe.

Peggy said...

:) Thanks Urban Vegan, Kumudha, and Bazu!

(haha, blog tests...)

Emma said...

Where do you buy seitan?? This looks yummy!!