Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Getting creative with my breakfasts, part two: apple crisp!

(For the past year or so, my breakfasts have been awfully tedious: frozen fruit and either cereal or oatmeal, loaded with cinnamon and flax seeds. Every single day! Lately, since the summer break is coming to a close, I decided that now is the time to be a bit more imaginative. Some variation in my diet can't hurt, either!)

Previously, I've blogged about my friend H, who I am helping to go vegetarian/vegan and to start a vegan lunch program. The other day, since the trees in our neighbourhood are producing LOADS of apples, he sent me a lovely apple crisp recipe:
Vegan Apple Crisp 12 cups sliced (5 - 10mm thick) apples 3/4 cup olive oil 2 1/2 cups flour 1-2 cups oats 2 tablespoons cinnamon 1 tablespoon nutmeg 2-3 cups brown sugar (note: 2 is tart! but I recommend you do it this way and then if anyone in the family wants it sweeter they can just sprinkle sugar over the top of it afterwards.) What you do: 0. (Preheat oven to 360F or 375F... see Step 6) 1. Put the 12 cups of apples in a large bowl. 2. Add oil, stirring until all apples are coated evenly in a thin layer of it. 3. Add sugar, until evenly coated. 4. Add flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg all at the same time just on top of the pile of sugared apples and then stir 5. Stir some more until the consistency is even throughout. 6. Place it in glass (oven: 360F) or stoneware (oven: 375F) container(s) that match the portion to a thickness of about 2-4 cm and then bake it at the above corresponding temp. (Optional, throw some more oats on top of it before putting it in. In my oven at least the oats got nice and crispy and didn't burn.) 7. Usually about 20-35 mins later its done (depends on thickness) you know its done when the apples at he bottom are soft and the top gets dark brown and crispy. 8. Cool (and optional serve with soy ice cream.) Makes an incredibly overwhelming number of portions. probably 20+...but it disappears: In my family it went in two days! So I made some more this morning:-)

Looks like a fantastic recipe, doesn't it? Problem is, I didn't feel like slicing up 12 cups of apples :S Instead, I altered the recipe to make a single portion and made some other changes as well: (I'm no good at following recipes to a T!)

Peggy's Apple Crisp for One

-1 cup sliced apples
-1/2 cup rolled oats
-2 1/2 tbsp whole spelt flour
-1 package powdered stevia
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-3 tbsp applesauce (instead of oil)
-flax seed and additional cinnamon, for sprinkling on after (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. In a bowl, stir together the rolled oats, spelt flour, stevia, and cinnamon until well mixed.
3. Add the apples and applesauce and mix. Chunks of dough are just fine- in fact, I think that's the best part!
4. Put into some sort of bakeware. I used a mini ceramic pie dish.
5. Optional: sprinkle additional rolled oats on top. They'll get real toasty!
6. Bake for about 20-30 minutes, or until it looks done and smells great.
7. Let cool, or not, and eat it hot right out of the bakeware. :) Sprinkle on flax seeds and additional cinnamon.

I really, really, really liked this. The contrast in textures was phenomenal: crunchy oats, soft and chewy batter, tender apples...

I've even tried a variation of this, with quinoa flour instead of spelt & frozen mangoes and peaches instead of the apples. Yum!

2 comments:

Bianca said...

It sounds like a super healthy apple crisp...like one you wouldn't need to feel guilty about eating for breakfast!

Peggy said...

:) Exactly! Delicious and nutritious!