Saturday, September 6, 2008

"And in the mornin', I'm makin' WAFFKES!"

Is it just me, or does anyone else ALWAYS think of that scene in Shrek whenever they hear the word 'waffle'?

...

No? Just me?

Oh well. Waffles are still DANG GOOD, and I made a big batch this morning to celebrate my first school-year weekend. I used the vanilla waffle recipe from Fat Free Vegan, using whole wheat pastry flour and cornstarch instead of potato starch.
naked waffle! :o
(looks like I need to put more batter in the iron...)


They turned out perfect- just crispy enough and just sweet enough. I froze the extras for school morning breakfasts. I didn't use the optional blueberries, which actually ended up okay because the waffles turned out just like the ones my mom used to make- but vegan and BETTER!

I used vanilla bean, too, instead of the extract. I'd never done that before, but I liked being able to see the specks of vanilla in my waffle!


I've decided that my favorite waffle topping are homemade chunky applesauce and cinnamon. How about you?

(coming up tonight [hopefully] on Vegan Teen Cuisine: talking about the 'tofu noodles' and the bento I brought to school on friday)

2 comments:

A.M. said...

That waffle looks so crisp, I can't wait to try the recipe.

I've been topping my waffles with fresh (red) fruit and soy yogurt and have been 'worrying' what to do in the winter, when fresh red fruit isn't available... chunky applesauce with cinnamon sounds perfect - thanks for the suggestion!

Peggy said...

Yep, they were pretty crispy :)

Mmm, the soy yogurt idea sounds great, I need to eat more of that stuff so thanks for your suggestion! :) Yeah, the applesauce and cinnamon are lovely flavours for fall & winter