Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Getting creative with my breakfasts, part eight: improv cupcakes

I love, love, love pancakes as a breakfast food, almost as much as I like oatmeal or cereal. One thing I DON'T like about pancakes, though, is having to drag out a recipe and measure everything in the morning. I'm too hungry to do that!

I have solved that laziness issue by preparing it all the night before, but lately I've been going the extra step and just making it up as I go along! A little of this, a little of that, and cook at a certain temperature in a skillet until done. Mmm.

These pancakes here were made from quinoa, teff, oat, and spelt flours. They were quite good, especially when topped generously with cinnamon :)



These ones had a similar combination of flours as those above, but in very different proportions. I also added much more cinnamon to the batter.
The result? Ugly pancakes that tasted good enough for me to eat the entire batch... yikes.


Maybe I'm just lucky and my next improvisation with pancakes will be a real disaster- has anyone else tried doing this? Ever freed yourself from a recipe and just gone with your gut, not even bothering too much with the basic chemistry of baking?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do it all the time:] I do not think that I have ever followed a recipe from a cookbook correctly, haha
mmm Those pancakes looks delicious! Now I'm craving them:(

VeganCowGirl said...

Peggy! One should never regret eating a whole batch of vegan pancakes. I love that you are experimenting and going off the beaten path. Personally, I think the foodie world is a little too uptight about experimenting with baking measurements...sure, it doesn't always turn out right, but on the whole I think experimenting is worth it. Your breakie looks great.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I get frustrated with recipes all the time and just vaguely measure ingredients without following any instructions. It usually works out, but then I have no way of recreating these things!

Peggy said...

Conquebysmiling- Haha, good to know I'm not the only one!

Vegancowgirl- Haha, thanks. Experimenting is most certainly fun :)

hannah- nice! yeah, that is the one problem, unfortunately :/