Monday, October 6, 2008

Vegan Mofo: Ethiopian food > everything else

Restuarant Review:

Habesha
9515 118 Ave. (Edmonton, AB)
Open M-F: 10am-2pm and 5pm-10pm
Saturday: 10am-2pm; Sunday: 12pm-10pm
(780) 474-2206


First and foremost, I'm going to apologize for the lack of pictures. For some reason, my camera decided to totally conk out on me. Not fair! It's working now, but unfortunately I didn't get to snap any shots of the food :(

I didn't have school on Friday, so my mom and I seized the opportunity to check out Habesha, a relatively new Ethiopian - Eritrean restaurant in Edmonton. It's in a bit of a sketchy area, but the interior is quite lovely and welcoming.

We shared a vegetarian platter (about 24$), and unfortunately I can't remember the actual names of all the dishes. There was a lovely spinach one, a deeply flavoured lentil wot, a thick and spicy split pea 'paste', a potato-cabbage-carrot mixture, some heavily spiced green beans and carrots, and of course the fresh greens & tomato salad in the middle. It was all served on a biiiiiig piece of injera bread, with additional pieces rolled up in a nice little basket.

Choosing favorites is tough, but I reallllly liked the spinach, as well as the green beans & carrots. And I can't get enough injera bread, either!

We were quite satisfied with this meal. Although it is my favorite, I'm not quite a connaisseur of Ethiopian cuisine just yet, so I can't tell you whether it was super-authentic or not. But I can tell you that Habesha makes some tasty food!

And as much as I love making my own injera... mine never really compares to what I can find at a restaurant. I'm thinking that I should head out to Habesha every once in a while and order a huuuge amount of injera to go. I'd be one happy camper for the next few days, that's for sure!

5 comments:

VeganLinda said...

I heart Ethiopian food! I wish we had an Ethiopian restaurant nearby, but I have to travel a couple hours for one. :-( Sounds yummy!

tofufreak said...

lucky! i have yet to try Ethiopian. It sounds great though!

Peggy said...

veganlinda- me too! :D That's a real shame, hopefully one will open up soon then :)

tofufreak- Dang, yeah it's fantastic. hopefully you'll get a chance to sometime soon!

Bethany said...

ethiopian food is the best thing ever. I can't get sick of it. I try to ignore my cravings, though because seattle is about a 45 minute drive.

i love the leftovers. shiro wat is one of my favorites, super spicy.

Peggy said...

Bethany- it is! :( Too bad you don't have a restaurant close by!