Saturday, June 2, 2007

Amaranth!

Amaranth is GOOD STUFF. I've been having it for breakfast lately, instead of oatmeal, and I just can't get enough of it. :)

Nutrition-wise, this little guy is very similar to quinoa. It's packed with iron, calcium, protein, and yumminess.

Each little grain is SO small, though- they're probably less than half the size of quinoa! So cute. :P

In any case, amaranth cooks just the same as quinoa: 1 part (rinsed) amaranth to 2 parts water, bring to a boil, then simmer until the grains are transculent.


I took that picture above ^ yesterday, just after I'd added cinnamon. Mmm. :) It's delicious just like that, but I spiced it up a bit more today:


Blueberry Amaranth Bonanza
(for one)

1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 cup of cooked amaranth (about 1/3 dry yields this amount)
1 tsp of cinnamon, or more :D
1 tbsp ground flaxseeds (for those omega-3s)
1 tsp blackstrap molasses, or to taste (gotta get your iron and calcium!)

Mix together in a bowl, and ENJOY.
As a side note, breakfast is usually one of my bigger meals, plus I'm working on gaining weight, so you might have leftovers depending on your own appetite. But you won't because this is so good. ;)

1 comment:

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

Hey! i just wanted to say that I think its great that your so young and are so mature about your eating habits!!!

This is probably an old post, but Ive never heard of amaranth! where can you get it? and what does it taste like??